Our history

The Royal Charter of William and Mary of 25 October 1694 established the Royal Hospital for Seamen. Following the naval battle of La Hogue in May 1692, with horrific casualties amongst mariners, Queen Mary determined to create a Hospital (refuge) for disabled seamen at Greenwich.

Our objects

The 1694 Charter set out Greenwich Hospital's founding aims, which continue to guide our work today.

Act of Remembrance on HMS Albion

‘The reliefe and support of seamen serving on board the Shipps or Vessells belonging to the Navy Royall who by reason of Age, Wounds or other disabilities shall be uncapable of further Service at Sea and being unable to maintain themselves.

And for the Sustentation of the Widows and the Maintenance and Education of the Children of Seamen happening to be slain or disabled. Also, for the further reliefe and Encouragement of Seamen and Improvement of Navigation.’

The Hospital and School

The Hospital provided a home for retired seamen of the Royal Navy and support for seafarers’ widows and education for their children.

ORNC

The first Pensioners arrived at Greenwich in 1705, at what is now known as the Old Royal Naval College. At its height, more than 2,000 pensioners lived at the Hospital. As social conditions changed, the focus moved to other forms of support and the last pensioner left in 1869. Greenwich Hospital then devoted its resources to paying pensions and educating children.  The Royal Naval College used the Hospital’s original buildings at Greenwich from 1873 until July 1998. 

Today, the Hospital leases the site to the Greenwich Foundation for the Old Royal Naval College, a charity established to take responsibility for preserving, finding new uses for, and encouraging public access to the site.  

The education of seafarers’ children was and is at the Royal Hospital School, founded in 1712 by Greenwich Hospital. The school moved to its present purpose-built site in Suffolk in 1933.